What is Working Holiday Visa 417?

The Working Holiday Visa is perfect for those who want to work, and have a holiday at the same time! This visa offers young people aged between 18 and 30 the opportunity to find and/or gain work experience in Australia for up to a year.

Who can get Working Holiday Visa 417?

Eligibility requirements:

  • Be between the ages of 18 and 30;
  • Hold a valid passport from a country that is involved in the Australian Working Holiday Program
  • Have not held a Work and Holiday (Temporary) Visa subclass 462;
  • Be able to show that you are travelling to, or remaining in Australia as a genuine visitor. For example, as a tourist, for recreation, or to visit your family and friends.
  • Be financially stable so that you can support yourself whilst living in Australia, and be able to buy a return or onward travel ticket when you have completed your holiday
  • You should possess around AUD$5000 for supporting yourself in Australia:
  • Do not have any dependant children who will be accompanying you whilst you stay in Australia
  • Meet certain health and character requirements
  • Have your own health insurance, as you will not be covered by Australia’s national health scheme (Medicare), unless your country has a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia.
  • If you or any family members (including those who don’t apply for the visa with you) owe the Australian government money, you or they must have paid it back or arranged to pay it back.

If you, towards the end of your first Working Holiday Visa, wish to remain in Australia for the same purposes, you may be able to apply for a second 417 visa. To do so, you must:

  • Be under the age of 30
  • Have only had one Working Holiday visa in the past
  • Have not breached any conditions on your first 417 visa
  • Completed at least three months of specified work on your first Working Holiday visa in regional Australia.

Also, Working Holiday Visa can be granted for up to 3 times:

  • First Working Holiday Visa
  • Second Working Holiday Visa
  • Third Working Holiday Visa

Entitlements of the Working Holiday Visa 417

While you are on your first Working Holiday visa, you can stay in Australia for 12 months, work in Australia (for six months with each employer), study for up to four months and leave and enter Australia as many times as you wish. When you leave Australia, you are also able to access your superannuation when you leave Australia.

If you are granted a second Working Holiday visa, you will be able to stay in Australia for an additional 12 months and leave and enter Australia as many times as you wish while your visa is valid.

Advantages of Working Holiday Visa

  • Stay in Australia up to 12 months
  • Study for up to 4 months
  • Undertake short-term work to support your trip
  • Travel to and from Australia as many times

List of Eligible Countries

You must be a citizen of and hold a valid passport from one of these countries/jurisdictions:

  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • Republic of Cyprus
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China (including British National Overseas passport holders)
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Republic of Korea
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Sweden
  • Taiwan (other than an official or diplomatic passport)
  • The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

How long is the visa process of Working Holiday 417?

Once received, the Department of Immigration will then commence processing your application. The average processing time is 75% of applications in 10 days.

Official Website: Department of Home Affairs

Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462)

There is another type of visa called Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462) this visa is for for higher degree educated people, aged 18 to 30, who want to travel and work for up to 12 months in Australia. This visa allows you to supplement the cost of your holiday through periods of temporary or casual employment. The visa is valid for 12 months and allows multiple entries into and exits from Australia Visa holders can generally work for up to six months with any one employer and can study for up to four months. Work up to 12 months for some types of specified work and regional areas may be possible. There is an annual limit on the number of first Work and Holiday visas granted to each country. The annual limit resets on 1 July each visa program year.

List of Eligible Countries

  • Argentina
  • Austria
  • Chile
  • China, People’s Republic of
  • Czech Republic
  • Ecuador
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Indonesia
  • Israel
  • Luxembourg
  • Malaysia
  • Peru
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • San Marino
  • Singapore
  • Slovak Republic
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Thailand
  • Turkey
  • Uruguay
  • United States of America
  • Vietnam

Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462) requirements

Depending upon your country of origin, you will need to meet specific requirements, which may include:

  • be outside of Australia when you apply for your first Work and Holiday Visa
  • aged between 18 and 35 years old at the time of application
  • hold a passport for one of the countries or regions listed in the table above.
  • completion of a certain level of education (e.g. secondary school, tertiary study/qualification)
  • English language competence (e.g. IELTS overall band score of 4.5)
  • Home government support (e.g. letter of support from your home government)

Main differences between 462 visa and 471 visa

  • If you apply for 462 visa you must meet the education requirements, while 417 visas do no require this.
  • 462 visa require a letter of support from your government of origin (unless you’re from the U.S.), while 417 visa do not require.
  • 462 visa also require evidence of functional English, while 417 visa do not.

Other Visa Options

Would you like to speak with us?